Monday 6 October 2014

Slurping Soya Chicken Noodles On A Stormy Day


Slurping Soya Chicken Noodles On A Stormy Day

          It was not planned. It was not intentional. I was there to buy books and was taking my own sweet time walking along the corridors of the mall. Weather bureau was saying that it would be a stormy day. Crowd was still sparse at that time. Stopping to tighten the laces of my Adidas tennis shoes, I momentarily leaned against the thick glass panel of a Chinese restaurant. Catching my attention was a man in his mid 50s slurping mami noodles. The loud sound gave the impression that he was enjoying what he was eating. That was a temptation, enough to trigger the craving in me that I immediately walked right in, took a seat and called the waiter.

Clean, spacious restaurant

Serves not only dim sum and noodles but also traditional Chinese dishes.

The resto can accommodate a large number of diners.

          "Nasubukan ko na lahat ng mami- pork, beef, chicken, wanton. Ano pa ibang mami meron kayo? Ano ba kinakain nung mama?", I asked. "Soya Chicken Mami po yon. Iba po yun sa ordinary chicken mami.", answered the waiter. With no further prodding, I did order Soya Chicken Mami. And to go with that, I asked for Pork Siomai. Just as I was browsing the book The Long Night of Winchell Dear, my dumplings, placed in an attractive bamboo basket, were served.

A wide variety of dumplings to choose from

A strong preference for the Pork Siomai

Iced Tea

Siomai's good taste is enhanced when dipped in soy sauce with calamansi.


          In five minutes, the steaming hot Soya Chicken Mami came next. It was served in a big bowl with spring onion leaves placed on top. I could smell the aroma. I first tried the broth with one sip, savoring the fine taste. It was really hot that I could feel a burning sensation on my tongue. Then I tried the noodles, slurping until I reached the end. Then I started mixing all there was in the bowl. The soya chichen was marinated in soy sauce and cut neatly by a sharp cleaver and served in big portions. The meat was tender and juicy. In between, I was enjoying the meaty siomai dipped in soy sauce and kalamansi.

Soya Chicken Mami

Generous serving of Soya Chicken Mami

Soya Chicken Mami and Pork Siomai make a good pair.

Special chili sauce

           It was a hearty merienda. One that made me feel contented. I got my money's worth. As I was burping, the waiter approached and said: "Sir, try niyo yung buchi at black gulaman namin. Masarap po yon." Gesturing with my right hand on my tummy, I quipped: "Tama na. Busog na busog na ako. Next time naman. Pag pinilit ko, gluttony na yon." Two men, with shoes drenched in rainwater, entered the resto. One was overheard saying: "Baka bumaha na yan sa Cainta mamaya. At baka umapaw ang Marikina River."  I remained steadfast, knowing that such was a yearly occurrence. Part of the changing seasons. I asked and paid for my bill. Clutching my books which were stained by soy sauce, I stood up and made my way to the exit, still burping and burping. 

- Konted

Marikina River on a regular day

The swollen Marikina River at the height of the storm last week.

Across is the rear area of Provident Village in Marikina City

The overflowing Marikina River 

A subdivision in Cainta

While low lying areas of Cainta and Marikina are submerged, this part of Marcos Highway near Robinson's East Mall remains flood-free.

Many residents of Cainta and Marikina parkied their cars at the elevated and covered parking areas of nearby malls. The management of Robinson's East Mall and Sta Lucia Mall waived the P230 overnight parking fee. Mabuhay kayo !!



____________________________