Sunday 18 January 2015

Mordialloc: Building Classic Boats Since the 1800s


Mordialloc: Building Classic Boats Since the 1800s

          I had reached the farthest point of the Sandringham Line. It was time to try the Frankston Line which travels south of the City of Melbourne. I was standing at Platform #7 at Flinders Street Station early one morning. Of all the many suburbs that the train passes through, I initially picked the seaside village of Mordialloc.

Flinders Street Station's Platform #7

Train bound for the City of  Frankston

Stopping at Mordialloc Train Station

The Nepean Highway runs through the village of Mordialloc

Clock tower along Nepean Highway

Vintage howitzer

Mordialloc's business center

Delicious burgers

Souvlaki is a Greek dish consisting of meat grilled on a skewer.

Wine bar along the national road

Two young cyclists take a rest.


Popular bar & restaurant in Mordialloc

          The word Mordialloc is derived from the native name moordy yalloc which literally means muddy creek. And this creek, clean by any standard, flows to Port Phillip Bay. Docked at Mordialloc Creek are small classic boats. The village of Mordialloc, since the 1800s, has been known for building small wooden boats that are seaworthy and durable enough to last for many years.

Mordialloc Creek

Classic wooden boats are berthed at Mordialloc Creek.

Mordialloc boats are made of wood.

Classic boats made in Mordialloc are guaranteed to be seaworrthy.

  Enough space for fishing

Mordialloc has been known to make quality boats since the 1800s.

With full cabin and comfortable seats

Mordialloc Creek flows to Port Phillip Bay

Jetski drives out of Mordialloc Creek to the deep waters of Port Phillip Bay.

         Mordialloc is also famous for its soft, sandy beach. It is one of the most popular beaches of the State of Victoria. There is a pier where one can go fishing. One may pitch tent at the foreshore. At the Reserve are pergolas, tables and benches for picnic goers. There is a big playground for kids. And there is a restaurant overlooking the blue waters of the bay.

Mordialloc Beach


Bay trail used by joggers and promenaders

Mordialloc Pier

Pier has strong foundation.

Long boardwalk

Taking a break

Dome tent

Sunbathing and relaxing


To Port Phillip Bay for fishing

Speed boat about to dock at Mordialloc Creek

Harley Davidson parked at the reserve near the foreshore

Pergola at the reserve of Mordialloc

Band rotunda

Children's playground near the beach

Restaurant with a good view of the bay

        On my way back to the train station, I chanced upon a barber shop. It was the first and only barber shop I have seen in Victoria. I wanted to have my hair trimmed but it was closed for the day. I thought then that I had to sport a long hair till I find one real barber shop. Or make do with the unisex shop at St. Albans. Then I heard the warning bells of an approaching train. It was the Frankston train heading back to the city. Quickly I ran and quickly I grasped my myki card, with my back pack hooked on my right shoulder.

- Konted

Classic barber shop along the Nepean Highway

Closed for the day

Riding in tandem

Vintage VW Kombi

Mordialloc Train Station

Train bound for Melbourne's Central Business District (CBD)

Arriving at Melbourne Central Station

_______________________________________________